Friday, November 24, 2017

Reliving Childhood Memories


Holidays, like Thanksgiving, often cause us to reminisce.  But often Childhood memories cannot be  revisited without disappointment.  So I report to you here, to kick off the Holiday Season. a childhood revisit that DID NOT disappoint:  The Black Hills 1880 Train.



Of course the train that I had experienced in 1969 has been retired, but had a long and productive life in film and television, as well as taking my family on a fun ride that August afternoon in 1969.  That engine wasn't actually from 1880, but the founder of the line said upon his first ride, that it felt like the 1880's.


Still steam powered (above recharging the boiler between runs). but now by oil instead of coal.


A few times a day, they also check the oils levels for the gears.


Whenever I have the chance to ride a steam train I do.  My Father loved trains.  He started his career at the Post Office on mail trains in the 1950's.  And yes, there were still Steam Engines on line then.  
I always think of him when I ride a train......

I hope you and yours had a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted as Week #41 of the 52 Rolls Project.....

No comments:

Post a Comment