What a day....multiple equipment failures. But in the end I did shoot some film. However, we have to wait on the developing. So a Phone Camera Preview this week:
The star of the Event was 'Klondike Kate', a 1912 Baldwin Locomotive 2-6-2 that was used in the Yukon Territory by the Klondike Mines Railroad. She later served as an amusement park ride in Oklahoma. Recently lovingly restored by the Como Railroad Society. See Klondike Kate in Action.
Remarkably it only takes two adults to turn the train.
Of course, followers know that I Love Steam Trains!
My recent Lomo Diana Purchase came with a 'free' telephoto lens. However, there was viewfinder adaptor, but no viewfinder. I contacted them and was told that's how it is.......No wonder they are giving them away!
So How am I supposed to frame my image? I guess I could attach one of my Mamiya viewfinders, but that just seems wrong! When Free Really Isn't a Deal.........
So I seem to be adding up some less successful photo outings here in the 'Dog Days' of Summer. It's time to put another project to bed.
So let's deal with my 'Frankenstein Camera', The Mercury Universal Camera:
(Intended configuration with spacer and leaf shutter lens)
Well, it just never worked as advertised. This was my first Kickstarter. I've participated in some others that have turned out fine like Film Ferrania and SolarCan; and Film Silberra in Indiegogo. Presently I'm waiting on my "Box Camera"from Kickstarter.
But this one is packed away. Most of the successes for this camera seem to be 4X5, as posted on their Facebook page. And that's what I might recommend as the best use case. But for me, the owner of many fine Medium Format Cameras, it became a waste of time and effort. I want to have fun with my photography and have good results with equipment whose function is second nature to me. Also, I'm going to inherit an Intrepid 4X5 when my husband upgrades, so no point in trying to make this work as a 4X5 either.
The main problem was trying to get the spacer to work with my leaf shutter lens. It didn't mate properly and even though I asked the developers for assistance, there was only silence. Also, the Ilex #4 shutter seemed altogether too heavy to use with a 3-D printed body. And, the Ilex also could not be mated properly to the spacer either:
Resulting in images like this:
I can say that the focusing Screen Worked well:
So it's dead to me, and some of the accessory items that I bought for it will go back on Ebay shortly.......
Here's what it actually cost:
The basic parts together (Spacer is attached to the camera):
For the Ilex cost I did actually buy 2 shutters for that price, so subtract $150 from the total. And I am going to keep one of the shutters as a novelty item. Having two backs so you can change film types is completely reasonable.