Saturday, July 20, 2013

Saturday's On-Line: Changes

Making note of some recent changes.......................

Carl Zeiss Changes Names:
http://gizmodo.com/a-lot-of-cameras-are-going-to-change-in-the-tiniest-way-614681952

A Hasselblad original bites the dust:
http://petapixel.com/2013/04/29/hasselblad-kills-off-the-503cw-officially-ending-the-v-system-line/#more-107758

End of Kodak Acetate Films-But will we miss them?
http://petapixel.com/2013/06/12/kodak-axes-acetate-film-base-production/#more-114190


Below, A Saguaro undergoing a bit of change:

Tri-X Pan Film.  Old Kodak, but I'm not sure it is an Acetate Film?
From Saguaro National Park, and our winter road trip.

2 comments:

  1. Nice photo. I wish I could visit that location. It looks very inviting.
    I wonder why companies feel the need to change their name and then do it. Zeiss is not alone, just the most recent.

    I can understand Hassies cessation of the V line. They are way over priced. I shot various models of Hasselblads, but I never owned one. Myself and several other photographers with whom I worked in the 80s and 90s shot both Hassies and Bronica SQ-A's the company owned both. 90% of the time we grabbed the Bronicas. No one ever noticed any difference in image quality between the 2 brands whether it was small photos or wall-sized photos for trade shows.

    Personally I still own and still shoot Bronicas. Sometimes I wondered if I could even afford Bronica cameras, lenses and accessories.

    Acetate film? I thought polyester replaced acetate decades ago even though many of us still called the base acetate.

    Thanks for the updates on the happenings in the world of photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill,

    Thanks for the comments. I've heard that name changing occurs when you think something that you are doing isn't working. Often I think name changing messes up the branding and confuses people.

    Also I didn't know that there were still acetate films either. I'll have to research that more.

    Regarding Hasselblad, when I was looking to move to medium format, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.A couple of people in my photography classes swore that you had to have a Hassie. But I saw beautiful results from the Mamiya 645, so when I had the opportunity to get one I did. Other classmates of mine also had Bronica, and again I couldn't see the difference. I think the real difference in Optics today between the top brands isn't significant (if there is any difference).

    Back from some travel, so I'll be posting more regularly again............

    ReplyDelete