Sunday, December 29, 2019

2019 Year End Wrap Up: Films Test Results

I tested 8  'new' (to me at least) films this Spring and Summer:  CineStill 800,  Silberra (100, 160), Rollei Retro 80S, Ilford FP4, Lomochrome Purple and of course the long awaited Kodak E100 (I'll talk about that one last).  Let me start with a film sent to me by my EMULSIVE Secret Santa: Ilford FP4 and Washi Z 400.

Ilford FP4 isn't a film I've ever thought of trying.  But that's what Secret Santas are for; to push us out of our comfort zone.......More Results Here.


Roosevelt Bridge and Dam along the Salt River, AZ



Washi Z 400 is another IR Sensitive film  I had not heard of it until my Secret Santa gave it to me last year.  Definitely need to try another roll, but I wish it came in 120 size:




My Results from both Silberra Films were Pretty good.  This was an Indiegogo Project that I supported in 2018:


Silberra Pan 100


Silberra Pan 160



Rollei Retro 80S is an IR sensitive film (like Ilford SFX-200).  I read about it on one of the blogs that I follow and decided to try it.  It's not going to replace SFX-200 for me, but worth a try:




I jumped on the Lomography band wagon and ordered the Lomochrome Purple.  I've never been drawn to special effects films before, but this one intrigued me.  Of course it finally arrived months behind schedule, but oh well......




CineStill has been around for a while.  I have several rolls that I never seemed to shoot.  In the Spring we visited the Biosphere2 and I loaded up my Fuji GA645Zi with CineStill 800.  It's a Tungsten film but performed OK in the muted day lit interior of the Bioshere:






And Finally the Kodak E100 Transparency Film.  The Link is to my summary experience.  For me personally, the film ran too cold:

ISO 125 Metered


ISO 125: true Color

Pushed to ISO 200

So I am going to give Fuji Velvia 50 another try in 2020.  
And if they come out with a 120 version of E100, we'll have a true shoot out!

No comments:

Post a Comment