Wednesday, September 12, 2018

What I'm Still Learning About Camera Systems and Lenses

-->
I've recently re-read an article by Lee Johnson.  He talks about his experience with his favorite Hasselblad camera after 10 years of working with it.

The article has given me food for thought regarding camera systems and what is really required for good photography.  For example, Lee talks about picking one camera and one lens for a project and sticking with that choice.  I've never tried the one-camera one-lens approach to shooting, or at least not consciously.  But in practice I do.  Despite having all of the available Mamiya 7 lenses in my toolkit, I usually use the 43mm or 50mm wide-angle lenses.  Although I am trying to be aware of when the 80 mm normal lens might be more appropriate.  And when I'm using my 35mm, my go to lens is the Tamron 28-200 zoom.  So this has become a part of my  practice because it just makes sense most of the time.....






The above image, made with my Mamiya 645 and wide angle lens ( the wide angle lens always a favorite regardless of the camera I'm using). Interesting that he notes the need for a faster shutter speed to avoid mirror vibration.  The Hasselblad must have mirror lock-up?   My Mamiya 645 does, and Hassies are better, right?  So they must have that feature?????  I usually avoid this problem by using my  Mamiya 7 rangefinder....no mirror, so no mirror vibration.  But for my work the day I made this image, good old mirror lock-up was in play.

He makes 10 points, and it's not my goal to replay and comment on all of his ideas.  It's a good article and I agree with most of it.  The point is, we all can be more thoughtful when choosing the equipment that we use in each circumstance.

......Recently I rediscovered the value of cameras other than the M7, although that relationship remains strong.  I typically use my 35mm Minolta X-700 as my "roadtrip ready to go camera".   I'm now getting back to my M645 and Minolta 35mm cameras for macro photography.  Something that you can't do with a rangefinder. 

I guess the point I want to make is choose the right camera for the task!  If you want versatility in a film camera and especially  if you are just getting started, choose 35 mm because the cameras a cheaper and there are lot's of lens possibilities.

For the truly adventurous, another interesting entry point for film photography is Plastic Cameras.   But that will be discussed elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment