Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Weekly Volcano #14: Yellowstone, Another Super Volcano

Are we blessed or cursed to have more than one super volcano in America?  
 

The Yellowstone Caldera has been recently in the news because of a high level of micro earthquake activity.  The official word is, that the EQ's don't mean anything.  As a person with some experience in volcanology I know that is a lie.  We are yet again suffering the 'Dante's Peak' Syndrome, where local officials don't want the tourists to be scared off.


Denver is the largest city in the 'danger zone' for Yellowstone.

I used to tell my student here, 'if you see a large cloud to the NW, be very afraid!'

A third continental US Volcano is classed as a super volcano.  We'll meet that one next month.

From my very old print fujifilm ISO 400, 1981, and my first camera, my Minolta SRT-SCII that was stolen when I was in graduate school.




1 comment:

  1. Such a great article it was which
    The Yellowstone Caldera has been recently in the news because of a high level of micro earthquake activity.In which a person with some experience in volcano logy. Thanks for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete