Friday, May 24, 2019

Pinhole Camera Showdown

This past Pinhole Day I had a simple choice:  use my new Reality So Subtle Pinhole (RSSP).  I have the 6X6F model and recently ordered the 6X9F model.  The RSSP 6X6F really performed beautifully in the low light at Aztec Ruins, NM:



More from Aztec Ruins coming soon..........

My RSSP 6X9 has just arrived, so I will add it to the competition.  So what IS the competition?  I have a number of pinhole cameras, some of which I have never used.  My husband also has a few that he's not sure he wants to keep.  So over the next few weeks I will be testing these pinholes, some as I've said seemed like a good idea at the time, but have never been used:


First the Ilford 4X5 Camera Obscura (top).  For the most part I haven't used this because the direct positive print paper was unavailable for a long time (but I have some now).  And I also realized that the only practical way to use this camera was to carry a changing bag and extra box to place the exposed images in.  Otherwise it was a one shot deal.  For the Showdown, I'll probably restrict my shooting to my immediate neighborhood.

Second camera above, the 3D Printed Panorama Pinhole.  It may be a great camera, but I need to try it.  And sitting in my cabinet all these years has not helped me to decide if it's a keeper.


The Ondu and Zero Image adjustable 6X7 cameras.  Both cameras have exhibited a similar problem: film does not stay flat resulting in distorted images.  Also my husband had experienced a lot of scratches with the Ondu.

The FinalCompetition Entry is my newest Reality So Subtle 6X9F:



Pinholes that have Made the Cut and are Keepers: Reality so Subtle 6X6F, Holga Panorama Pinhole, Diana Multi Pinhole.  I'll show examples from the Keepers in my next post.

Non-Keepers may be given away...........



No comments:

Post a Comment