Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday Online: Shackleton Photos Found!


100 year old negatives from Ernest Shackleton's Famous Endurance Voyage and Rescue have been carefully developed.

Please read the comments on this post site.  Can we please get over it digital people!  No matter how many times you back up your images or transfer them to new storage technologies, no one is going to find them 100 years later in a block of ice and be able to read those files.

And if you would just print those digital images, they'd stand a better chance of surviving! And may be even end up some where like: "Forgotten Old Photos"  for future generations to enjoy by accidental discovery.  No one is going to find your facebook page or photography blog anywhere 100 years from now.

And old Photo Prints are FUN!

Like my Mom's Graduation picture from Brooklyn Girl's High School, 1941.  
They give us a glimpse of our Family & History that we wouldn't have any other way. 

So Print your favorite images for the best chance at preservation (on real photographic paper please).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. Several of my digital files were corrupted during a backup process on both the hard drive and DVDs I was using a few years ago. This experience is one of the many reasons I have started using film again. Just the other day I found a negative of my dad and his adorable and wonderful only son in the drive way after the purchase of a new car in 1964. If I can get the Dektol mixed this evening, I am going to print this negative of us. I wonder, will the computers fifty years from now will be able to read the digital files I shot last week? How many times will I need to make back up copies and change file types and media types? Film really is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly the point. I'm not against digital, because I'm not against people having choices. I use digital to take photos of my film cameras (for posting, etc). I occasionally ask my husband to take a 'back-up' shot of something that I have photographed to make sure I have it (although I've rarely needed that back-up).

    But I remember once in Monterey when my photography class visited one of the local professionals to discuss his work, and he spent half of the time telling us how he was constantly upgrading storage devices, backing-up and transferring his digital files. Seemed like a lot of work. Most people don't make half that effort.

    My hope is years after I'm gone someone will find a few surviving negatives of mine and enjoy the discovery of printing one of my photographs. Just as you found that old photo you you and your Dad.

    I use Dektol too!

    ReplyDelete