Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Finishing My Degree......

Some of you may know that I've been working on a graduate degree in geographical information systems/civil engineering, amid all the other events of the past 2-3 years.  So I will finally be graduating in December.

Some of you also know that I am now working in the remote sensing field.  So of course for my final research project involves analysis of satellite imagery.  Recently I went to visit my actual study area which is very near my home:


It was such a pleasant day ( a week ago) I thought I would share it with you.  Cool and perfect for a little hike after my work was done.......

My research focus is monitoring the spread of parasites affecting the Ponderosa Pines in the Front Range Foot Hills.  In particular a nasty little beast called dwarf mistletoe............


I'm working with Jefferson County Parks and Open Spaces......and this is what we are trying to save, 80+ year old second growth Ponderosas.  Mountain Pine beetle is also in the area and I'll be looking for that too.

Just thought I'd bring you up to date on my life's little journey..........I also discovered some interesting history which I'll share tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Great work. Congratulations on your soon-to-be graduation!
    Now if you could eradicate the pine bark beetles here in the East....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and I do remember the Eastern Pine Beetle ravages. It is all a result of past clear cutting. These Beetles infest trees of a certain age. When you clear cut, all of the new growth ends up being the same age. So to eradicate them you end up clear cutting again. The parasites are part of nature and do serve a purpose, so we need to get back to a more natural balance.

    I also wanted to let people know that my postings may be a bit sparse over the next 6 weeks as I make that final push to the end. Around Christmas Life will return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your degree this semester! Been there, done that, twice. I have absolutely no desire to do it again!! Neither does my family! Love the work you are doing--academically and photographically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes on your graduation.

    I often wondered if the pine beetle problem resulted from the hundreds upon hundreds of acres that were mixed trees being replaced by nothing but pine trees.

    ReplyDelete